Chicken Tortilla Soup.
You can cook Chicken Tortilla Soup using 21 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken Tortilla Soup
- It’s 1 medium of pre-roasted chicken.
- You need 6 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Prepare 8 of corn tortillas, halved and cut into strips.
- You need 1 large of yellow onion, chopped.
- Prepare 4 clove of garlic, chopped.
- You need 4 of chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped.
- Prepare 32 oz of chicken broth (low sodium).
- Prepare 12 oz of crushed tomatoes.
- Prepare 12 oz of corn, frozen or fresh.
- It’s 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped.
- You need 1 can of black beans, washed and strained.
- Prepare 2 medium of fresh ripe tomatoes, diced.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaf.
- You need 1 tbsp of paprika.
- Prepare 1 tsp of chili powder.
- You need 2 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground coriander.
- You need 2 tsp of salt (or to taste).
- It’s 1 of avocado, diced.
- Prepare 1 of lime wedges.
- You need 6 oz of queso panela, crumbled.
Chicken Tortilla Soup instructions
- Pull apart the pre-roasted chicken into bite sized pieces and set aside. I like to do this first because it gets a bit messy. Prep all the ingredients before you start cooking. Reserve a handful of chopped onion and hand full of chopped cilantro for garnishing the top of the soup..
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium high heat. I like to use coconut oil but you can use whatever you like. Add half the tortilla strips and cook, continuously stirring, until golden (about 1 minute). Remove the cooked strips with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel. Repeat with the remaining half of the tortilla strips..
- Using the same pot, reduce the heat to medium. Add the chopped onion, chopped garlic cloves, chopped chipotles, and spices to the oil. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until onions are tender..
- Add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, bay leaf, and chicken. Add the salt. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add the cilantro, diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Return to a simmer for 10 more minutes. Taste the soup, you may want to add more salt. Remember you can always add to the recipe, but oversalted food is just gross. Before you serve, remove the bay leaves..
- To serve, put tortilla strips in a bowl, and pour in the soup. Sprinkle crumbled queso panela, cilantro, diced avocado, and chopped onion on top, and serve with lime wedges..