Chickpea and Spinach Curry #newyearnewyou.
You can have Chickpea and Spinach Curry #newyearnewyou using 21 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chickpea and Spinach Curry #newyearnewyou
- Prepare 2 tins of chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
- Prepare 1 tin of plum tomatoes.
- Prepare 6 blocks of frozen chopped spinach (defrosted and squeezed to release excess water) or 2 large handfuls fresh spinach, torn into pieces.
- You need 1 tsp of yellow mustard seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Nigella seeds.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 of Cinnamon stick.
- You need 4 of Cardamom pods, lightly crushed.
- You need 1 tsp of ground Coriander.
- Prepare 2 tsp of ground Cumin.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Tumeric.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground Ginger.
- It’s 3 of fat cloves Garlic, crushed.
- You need 2 of onions, thinly sliced.
- Prepare of Rapeseed oil.
- It’s of Salt and black Pepper.
- It’s of To serve:.
- It’s 100 g of Plain Yoghurt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Mint Sauce.
- Prepare of Naan Breads (I cheated and bought some!).
- Prepare of Chutneys, I love Lime Pickle and Aubergine Chutney.
Chickpea and Spinach Curry #newyearnewyou step by step
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. When the oil is hot add the Cumin seeds, Nigella seeds, Cinnamon stick, Cardamom pods and Yellow mustard seeds. Stir and allow spices to release their fragrance for about 30 seconds. They will start to pop!.
- Add the onions and fry until a deep golden brown and caramelised. Add the crushed Garlic and cook gently for a minute. Stir occasionally to prevent the Garlic from browning..
- Add the ground spices, stir, then add the Plum Tomatoes and break them up into pieces..
- Add the drained Chickpeas, give them a good stir to coat in all of the spices and tomatoes. Add about half a tin of water to loosen. Bring to the boil, cover and then turn down to a simmer for about 15 minutes. Check every now and then to make sure the Chickpeas don't dry out. Add a splash more water if needed..
- Once the curry is a lovely thick, saucy consistency check the seasoning and add some salt and black pepper to taste. Then add the spinach, give it a good stir and cook for a few minutes. If using fresh Spinach allow it to just wilt and then serve..
- Serve with your favourite Naan breads, Chapatis or rice with a serving of Mint Yoghurt (blend the Yoghurt and Mint Sauce together) and some lovely chutneys. I love Aubergine Chutney and Lime Pickle..
- A lovey addition is a few crispy onions. Finely sliced onion, squeezed dry in kitchen paper and then deep-fried in hot Rapeseed oil for a few.
- Minutes, until crisp and golden brown and then drained on Kitchen paper to blot off the excess oil. I often make a batch to keep in the ‘fridge to top various meals and add extra crunch and Umami flavour..