Tteokbokki (spicy rice cake). These spicy rice cakes are super delicious, umami rich and highly addictive! Tteokbokki is one of the most popular Korean street foods in Korea. Among other things, today's recipe is made with Korean rice cakes, Korean fish cakes, Korean soup stock / dashi stock and gochujang (Korean chili paste)!
I've updated it here with more information, new photos and minor changes to. In this version, we sear the chewy rice cakes until the outsides are crisp before tossing them in the spicy-sweet gochujang sauce. Top with eggs, sesame seeds, and remaining scallions. You can have Tteokbokki (spicy rice cake) using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Tteokbokki (spicy rice cake)
- Prepare 200 g of cylindrical tteok (rice cake).
- It’s 150 g of eo-muk (fish cake).
- Prepare 1/8 head of small cabbage (optional).
- Prepare 1/4 of small carrot (optional).
- It’s 1 cup of chopped spring onion (optional).
- Prepare 1 of small onion (optional).
- It’s 2 of boiled eggs (optional).
- Prepare 500 ml of water.
- You need 1.5 tbsp of gochujang (chili paste).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chili powder.
- Prepare 2.5 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 6 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of minced garlic.
The rice cakes are chewy and tender. It looks super spicy and, originally, it is! But you can control the amount of chile paste. You might be able to find it It's quite spicy.
Tteokbokki (spicy rice cake) step by step
- Gather the ingredients..
- Pour 500 ml of water in a large saucepan on high heat..
- Add chili paste, chili powder, soy sauce, sugar, and minced garlic to the pan and mix well..
- Chop the vegetables into bite-size and add them to the saucepan..
- When it starts to simmer, add the rice cake and fish cake to the pan..
- When it starts to boil, add the spring onion and boiled egg, if using..
- Reduce the heat to medium and let it boil for about 8-10 minutes, until the sauce slightly thickens. Serve hot..
So check the taste when you add the sauce so that you can control the amount of heat. If you use frozen rice cakes, just defrost them. Tteokbokki – Spicy Rice Cake Recipe. Ingredients are adjustable and listed below in my Recipe Card -. The quality of the tteok/dduk varies quite a bit.