Chile Relleno Soup.
You can cook Chile Relleno Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chile Relleno Soup
- Prepare 5 of poblano peppers.
- It’s 1 of small onion.
- It’s 1 1/2 of lbs. chicken breast, or 3 breasts.
- You need 2 of gloves garlic.
- You need 1 pkg. of cream cheese.
- It’s 1 tsp. of cumin.
- Prepare 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping.
- Prepare 4 cups of chicken broth.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of ground red pepper.
- You need 1 tsp. of chili powder.
- It’s to taste of salt and pepper.
Chile Relleno Soup step by step
- Begin by placing peppers on a baking sheet and roasting under broiler in oven on high. Keep an eye on these so they don't burn. You want to rotate a couple of times to give all sides a nice char..
- Once charred, place peppers in a bowl and cover. Allow them to cool. Once cooled, remove skins (as much as possible) by rubbing it off peppers. Remove seeds and place strips of peppers on cutting board to dice up..
- Chop the peppers and onions and have ready for next step. Chop garlic if using fresh. I opted for a jar of preminced garlic. 1 tsp is equivalent to 1 clove..
- Cut chicken into bite size chunks and begin to cook in a little olive oil. Season chicken with cumin, red pepper, chili powder and salt and pepper..
- Once chicken is half cooked, throw in your garlic, onion and peppers. Continue to sauté until chicken is thoroughly cooked..
- Add in chicken broth and bring to a boil..
- Reduce heat to medium low and add in cream cheese (cut into cubes) and 2 cups cheddar cheese..
- Continue stirring softly until all cheeses have fully melted..
- This step is optional but believe me its worth it! Place soup into oven safe glass bowls. Top with cheese and place under broiler in oven until cheese is melted and bubbly. Once again, do not take your eyes off it as they will burn quickly. Enjoy!.